Monday, April 15, 2013

A day trip to the seaside!

 Dragør

The Harbor

 I think the people were tiny!!

 The Danish flag presents itself everywhere

Sunshine is so fine

   This past weekend me and my friend Audrey headed on an adventure. Instead of using the public transportation we decided to use our nifty danish bikes and head on down to a coastal town called Dragør. Dragør has roughly around 11,000 people living there and it was one of the nicest Saturdays I've had since I've been here. The weather is getting to the point where I can wear my Mountain Hardware jacket instead of my big white coat, and we can bike outside without getting completely frozen! We left from her apartment in Nørrebro and biked through the city and along the seaside for about 2 hours. Since we took the scenic route it took a little longer then expected, but it was well worth it! We walked right up to the seaside where we could see the spectacular bridge going to Malmö (my next destination), and then headed to walk around the town. 
   The town has traditional Danish style houses with thatched roofs and cobblestone roads. It was picturesque with the small houses lining the roads with bikes and little sailboats in the windows. 
   Dragør was a prosperous seafaring town in the end of the 19th century with a harbor front that is still used today. It was founded in the 12th century and grew into a fishing port rather quickly. It continued to grow exponentially into the home of one of the largest fishing fleets in the country and as a base for salting and processing fish. 
   The first part of the name, Drag-, refers to drawing (dragging) boats ashore. The ending -ør is common in Scandinavian placenames and means a beach covered in sand or gravel.
   Now, since you've had a little history lesson, I can talk about the incredible burger I ate at the restaurant located on the side of the harbor with large windows to see outside. Yes, I ordered a burger at a harbor side restaurant. It was just too tempting. It included their homemade version of bbq sauce and a burger from a local farm with onions, cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and more I'm sure. Yes I ate it all. 


  After trying to recover from my food coma, we headed back along the shore, viewing the ridiculously nice houses behind a fence lining the sea. The houses were all clean and crisp architectural designs with large windows and personal gazebo's with white table clothes, candles, and flowers. Since it was dinner time they were all enjoying fancy dinner parties that I wouldn't have minded being a part of... One day.. one day. We took a detour on a country road while we got to enjoy the sunset and horses on either sides of the road... romantic huh?
   It was a wonderful day and I'm sure I'll go back sometime in May. Maybe my legs will be in better shape. I could hardly walk the next few days. I swear, the wind goes whatever direction you're not. I hope everyone is doing well!


No comments:

Post a Comment